I have some wonderful news to report.
On Wednesday May 8th (the same day as Give Big!), Washington Governor Jay Inslee will sign four bills to recover the endangered southern resident orcas, including a bill to reduce vessel impacts.
As a member of the Task Force, and during the legislative session, I’ve fought hard for these meaningful measures that will make it easier for the whales to find food, and hear each other.
- For the first time, the commercial whale-watching industry will be licensed.
- There will be limits set on the number of boats that can be around the whales, the time and days they can be with them, and the locations where they can operate.
- Relief for the orcas is on the horizon!
I’m asking your help to continue the work we have started – both on the Task Force, and in creating The Whale Trail.
- Our goal is to raise $7500 – that’s $1000 for each of the southern residents
- We need 75 people to give $100 each, or 150 people to give $50.
- Will you help us get there?
- Donate today, up till midnight May 8
- Tell your friends!
It’s a new season on The Whale Trail, and a sea change for the orcas. Together we can get this done!
With gratitude, and hope,
P.S. We’ll be in Olympia on Wednesday for the signing! And I’ll be on a KING 5 Facebook Live session at 7:30 PM. Busy day on The Whale Trail – GiveBIG!